Skip to main content

Why I Blog

In case you were wondering…



When I was living in the dorm of my Bible college there were a handful of guys that loved to stay up late debating the nitty-gritty matters of the Bible. These people would spend hours yelling at each other over the necessities, like whether or not Adam had a bellybutton (of course not!). And they loved to be the one to come up with the most controversial new idea, then adopt that into their theology.

I am not one of those people.

It doesn’t matter if Adam had a bellybutton or not (he didn’t!); I don’t want to spend all my time trying to convince a Christian about some unimportant biblical trivia question. Instead, I want to try to convince the lost to give their lives to Christ.

Furthermore, I want to teach Christians about the things that do matter. As the pastor of students at our church I have an obligation to teach our students, but this teaching should not be confined to just Sunday and Wednesday. If I have the opportunity to teach about where Christians should stand on the gay rights issue, or the chance to encourage our students to be encouragers, then I will do so. That is why I blog.

I also have an obligation to the parents of these students to provide them with the best information possible to help them make decisions about raising their children. Parents, we are on the same team, working together, not against each other. So when I am asked repeatedly if the peace symbol is okay to wear or if a certain movie is okay to see, then I also have an obligation to make that information available as well. That is why I blog.

If something that I have written has rubbed you the wrong way, just know that it was never my intention to do so. If you are reading this, and you clearly are, no one twisted your arm to make you read it (as far as I know). This blog is not my soapbox to try to conform everyone to look like me; this is simply an extension of my ministry to teach.

I realize that some things have caused some to disagree with me, even to criticize me. But that will not prevent me from continuing to do what I do. The way I see it, at my judgment it will just be me and Jesus, and I will have to give an account of what I did with my ministry. Since none of you will be there, I will not have to answer to you. My main goal is to please Jesus, and to continue the work that He has called me to do.

That is why I blog.


by the way, Adam didn’t have an umbilical cord. You do the math.

Comments

bud said…
I didn't know you had your own bible college. That explains a lot.
Not only am I a graduate, I am also the president and dean. If you send me a check for $1000 made out to Cash, you can be a graduate too.
bud said…
$1000??!! Are you kidding. 50 bucks will get a degree from the University of Florida.
How much did we pay for all those Championships the last few years? Maybe we can do a bake sale or something and get Clemson one.

Popular posts from this blog

The “Christians Hate Gays” Myth

During these Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) hearings before the Supreme Court I keep hearing how much Christians hate gay people. This was news to me since I am a Christian and I don’t hate gay people. I also go to church with over 1000 other Christians, and if any of them hate gay people, they sure haven’t told me. Before moving to South Carolina I worked at or attended several churches in Texas; prior to that I spent a decade going to church in Florida. Guess what? No one hated gay people. In fact, I don’t know any Christians who hate anybody. The very uniform of a believer is his love, and if a person does not show consistent love, then he is not actually a believer. Are there non-believers who hate gay people and claim to be Christian? Of course. But that doesn’t represent Jesus or His church. Equating  hateful sign-wavers with Christianity is like equating a kindergarten baseball team to the New York Yankees. They may claim to be playing the same

Famous Frauds in Homosexual Science Part 2: Twin Studies

A second piece of shoddy science has been heralded as proving people are born gay. This time, instead of cadavers, living twins were studied. This study compared male identical twins to male fraternal twins; in each set of twins, at least one man was homosexual. 22% of the fraternal twins showed both brothers to be gay, compared to 52% of the identical twins. Since identical twins are closer genetically than fraternal twins, this study claimed that genetics play in to homosexuality, or that people are born gay. But an obvious question that arose from this study is, why did 48% of the identical twins only have one gay brother? If they are so close genetically, then 100% of the identical twins should have two gay brothers. This study does more harm than good to the argument from genetics. There are other factors to be considered. One is that the men doing the study (Richard Pillard and Michael Bailey) could have intentionally picked fraternal twins that the

The Rose of Sharon and Lily of the Valley

If you have spent much time in church you have probably sung some songs with lyrics like these: “He leads me to his banqueting table, his banner over me is love… Jesus is the rock of my salvation, his banner over me is love.” “Sweetest rose of Sharon, come to set us free.” “He’s the lily of the valley, the bright and morning star…” But are those songs biblical? They come out of the writings of the Song of Solomon, but are we to understand those lines as describing Christ? The Song of Solomon is a collection of love poems that were written between two people who were deeply in love and about to be married. While we know that King Solomon is one of the writers, the other’s name has escaped us, and we know her today simply as the Shulamite woman. Some people believe that since this woman is not named then she never existed; some teach that this book is pure allegory, only existing to serve as symbolism. King Solomon, they say, represents