Skip to main content

GOP Election Kickoff Speech



Together, we can demand better.

I chose these five words to be the slogan for our campaign because I believe them to be a necessity. The first two words evoke plurality: together, we. It is not I, you, or me—it is we, together. I can’t do this without you.

Together, we can demand; we have to make our voices heard. We have to make our votes count. Together, we can demand better. We aren’t saying that the system is broken, but neither are we pretending it is perfect. We have a chance—a duty—to make improvements.

Together, we can demand better for schools. As a substitute teacher in my second year with the Union County School District I have seen firsthand what underfunding has done for our students. I realize that the solution is greater than simply throwing more money at the problem, but I also believe we consistently get short changed when money is allocated from Columbia. While larger districts understandably get a bigger piece of the pie, we are left having to do more with less. When other districts are buying new iPads for each of their students, we are left with cuts to the budget and consolidation of our buildings. I’ll be the biggest cheerleader for Union County Schools, and if you’ll help me, we can demand better.

We can also demand better for our taxpayers. I recently signed the South Carolina Association of Taxpayer’s Pledge to oppose any and all new taxes, and yes, that includes a gas tax hike, which I have consistently opposed. I also joined the Balanced Budget Amendment Taskforce, vowing to use the Article V Convention of States method, if we have to, to amend the US Constitution to force the federal government to operate on an annual balanced budget and begin to seriously pay down our debt.

We can demand better for drivers. I’m committed to repairing our roads. We had a 1.3 billion dollar surplus last year, and we didn’t use it to fix our roads. We must stop spending money on non-essential projects until our infrastructure is improved. I’m prepared to roll up my sleeves and do what we have to do.

We can demand better for workers and their families. Our state has succeeded in bringing new business to South Carolina, and while we will see some of the results of that here, what we really need is to see is these jobs come to Union. I’ll work with our local officials to make Union County open for business.

We can demand better for people of faith, especially employers. We need to pass a form of the Pastor Protection Act that is now law in Texas and Georgia, but we can expand it to cover all business owners, including those bakers, florists, photographers, and others who are being put in a tough position of compromising their convictions or suffering a public backlash. It’s happening here as we speak.
We can demand better for the unborn. Pain Capable was a great start, but frankly, it will save only 28 babies a year; I won’t rest until we save the other 6,600 babies aborted each year in our state. Some have suggested that I not talk about abortion as much, saying it’s a national issue. But I am talking about it today because 18 South Carolinians were aborted today, in our state. This is a local issue. It’s also my most personal issue. I have vowed to author and introduce the Life Begins at Conception Acts, where we can tell our tiniest citizens that they are entitled to not only the right to liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but to the right of life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness.


Together, we can demand better—better schools, better roads, better jobs, better finances, better lives, and a better future. I can’t do it without you, but together we can. Together, we can—and will—demand better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The “Christians Hate Gays” Myth

During these Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) hearings before the Supreme Court I keep hearing how much Christians hate gay people. This was news to me since I am a Christian and I don’t hate gay people. I also go to church with over 1000 other Christians, and if any of them hate gay people, they sure haven’t told me. Before moving to South Carolina I worked at or attended several churches in Texas; prior to that I spent a decade going to church in Florida. Guess what? No one hated gay people. In fact, I don’t know any Christians who hate anybody. The very uniform of a believer is his love, and if a person does not show consistent love, then he is not actually a believer. Are there non-believers who hate gay people and claim to be Christian? Of course. But that doesn’t represent Jesus or His church. Equating  hateful sign-wavers with Christianity is like equating a kindergarten baseball team to the New York Yankees. They may claim to be playing the same

To Save a Life

(Like my blog about the peace symbol, this blog was written as a default response to all the parents, students, and other people who are asking my opinion of To Save a Life.) By now you have probably heard of the movie To Save a Life, which opened nation-wide in theaters on January 22nd. The movie deals with so many issues that teens face today, like suicide, cutting, drinking, drugs, premarital sex, teen pregnancy, and abortion. At first glance this movie looks like an awesome resource that we should recommend for our teens, parents, youth pastors, and youth workers. But a closer look at the movie reveals a few disturbing things. For starters, according to pluggedin.com, there are 2 uses of the “A” word, 5 uses of hell (used as a curse word), and once the “D” word is used. There are other crude terms used to describe a girl, and crude terms for referring to sexual activity. There is also a bedroom scene that shows a girl removing a boy’s shirt, then afterwards the girl putting he

The Rose of Sharon and Lily of the Valley

If you have spent much time in church you have probably sung some songs with lyrics like these: “He leads me to his banqueting table, his banner over me is love… Jesus is the rock of my salvation, his banner over me is love.” “Sweetest rose of Sharon, come to set us free.” “He’s the lily of the valley, the bright and morning star…” But are those songs biblical? They come out of the writings of the Song of Solomon, but are we to understand those lines as describing Christ? The Song of Solomon is a collection of love poems that were written between two people who were deeply in love and about to be married. While we know that King Solomon is one of the writers, the other’s name has escaped us, and we know her today simply as the Shulamite woman. Some people believe that since this woman is not named then she never existed; some teach that this book is pure allegory, only existing to serve as symbolism. King Solomon, they say, represents